EPAM Cloud Service provides you with a flexible system of resources and costs planning, monitoring and management.
Billing & Quotas
This topic contains the following sections:
Resource Utilization Quotas
In order to prevent unexpected expenses each EPAM project is assigned a certain Cloud Resources Utilization Quota - an allowance, that can be used to run instances, create storages and manage the aforementioned resources, in accordance with actual prices. General allowance is composed of Computing and Storage quotas. Computing quotas encompass operations on instances, while Storage quotas address volumes.
Resource Utilization Quotas are set via the Manage Cloud Wizard available to Project Managers, Project Coordinators, Account Managers and Delivery Managers.
a. Quotas are set for regions in which the project is activated or for region types. In this field, select the project, where you want to update quotas.
b. The quotas are applied by specific regions, by region types, or to the whole Cloud infrastructure. The type of the quota depends on the region or set of regions to which it is applied. The following options are possible:
- ALL - the specified quota will be applied cumulatively to all regions in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- ALL_EPAM - the specified quota will be applied cumulatively to all EPAM regions in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- ALL_AWS - the specified quota will be applied cumulatively to all EPAM regions in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- ALL_AZURE - the specified quota will be applied cumulatively to all Azure regions in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- ALL_GOOGLE - the specified quota will be applied cumulatively to all Google Cloud regions in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- EACH - the specified quota will be applied to each region in which the project is activated, unless a narrower quota is set
- EACH_EPAM - the specified quota will be applied to each EPAM region (named as EPAM-XXX), unless a narrower quota is set
- EACH_AWS - the specified quota will be applied to each AWS region (named as AWS-XXX), unless a narrower quota is set
- EACH_AZURE - the specified quota will be applied to each Azure region (named as Azure-XXX), unless a narrower quota is set
- EACH_GOOGLE - the specified quota will be applied to each Google region (named as GCP-XXX), unless a narrower quota is set
- Region by name - set up quota for a specific region
c. The quota amount specifies the monthly expense limit according to the selected quota type.
All-type quotas control the total aggregated amount used for all affected regions and trigger the quota action as soon as the aggregated amount reaches the specified level. Each-type quotas control the amount used in each affected region separately and trigger the quota action as soon as the amount in the particular region reaches the specified level. In all cases, the most restrictive quota applies.
By switching between region options, you can specify a multi-level quota system. In case several region rules are applicable to a region (for example. "EACH_EPAM" and "EPAM-BY1"), the one with smaller quota limit is applied.
d. After selecting the quota amount, choose the action to be taken when the quota is depleted in the particular region. The following quota actions are available:
- Stop VMs when 100% quota depleted - Once a quota has been depleted, all resources in the region are stopped automatically. They are not terminated, you will be able to access them next month or as soon as your quota is refilled.
- Request approval for new VMs after quota is 100% depleted - Once the set quota has been depleted, project members will be able to request creating new resources in the region where quota has been depleted, but the action will not be performed until the Project Manager or Delivery Manager approves it. The Project Manager or Delivery Manager receives an email notification where they can approve or reject a new VM creation
- Deny requesting new VMs when 100% quota depleted - Restricts running new VMs
- Disable quota - Allows resource actions despite the quota depletion
Please note that for AWS, Azure and Google Cloud regions, quotas are mandatory. For all projects activated in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud, a default ALL_AWS, ALL_AZURE or ALL_GOOGLE quota of $300 is set. To change the quota, use the Manage Cloud Wizard as described in the Managing Quotas section. All quota settings are subject to approval by the Director of Global IT Operations. When the quota has been approved, you will see the applicable quota amount in the Manage Cloud Wizard as well as in the response to the or2report command in Maestro CLI.
e. In Notification plan section, select the quota utilization rate, at which you would like to get the notification with quota usage update information.
For more information on Resource Utilization Quotas see the Account Management Guide.
Billing Model for EPAM Cloud
EPAM Cloud Orchestrator utilizes a specifically designed flexible billing model. Striving to make EPAM Cloud experience as comfortable for our customers as possible, we implemented an easy no contract model not requiring any commitments from you: you pay only for utilized resources based on no contract pricing.
In ESX regions, the billing is calculated on hourly basis, while in OpenStack regions per-second billing is introduced.
In both cases, the hourly/secondly price is derived from the monthly price for each element, with calculations based on average 730.5 hours per month.
For the sake of easier comprehension, the billing model is presented on the following diagram and detailed below:
The current coefficients in the provate EPAM Cloud regions are given in the table below.
|Europe (Budapest, Hungary)||EPAM-HU1||1|
|CIS (Minsk, Belarus)||EPAM-BY1||1|
|CIS (Minsk, Belarus)||EPAM-BY2||0.8|
|CIS (St. Petersburg, Russia)||EPAM-RU2||1|
|USA (Edison, NJ)||EPAM-US2||0.6|
|Europe (Kiyiv, Ukraine)||EPAM-UA1||1|
|Europe (Kiyiv, Ukraine)||EPAM-UA2||0.8*|
|CIS (Minsk, Belarus)||EPAM-MAC||1|
|CIS (Minsk, Belarus)||EPAM-DKR||-**|
|Asia (Hyderabad, India)||EPAM-IN1||1|
*EPAM-UA2 is in the Beta mode till April 1, 2018. In this mode, the region coefficient is set to 0.
**VMs in the EPAM-DKR region are billed for electricity consumption only at the rate of $33 per month.
Please note that although billing in EPAM Cloud is unified, some services may be subject to a specific pricing policy. In such cases the respective information is given in the service description.
You can find the detailed information on pricing by each element by calling the "or2price -r region" Maestro CLI command.
The pricing for AWS machines run in Cloud differs from that of EO machines. Orchestration retrieves AWS billing information due to linked accounts principle and does not imply any additional fee.
You can find the actual AWS prices and billing models on the Amazon EC2 Pricing page on AWS website.
To estimate the price of the AWS-based infrastructure you plan to create, you can use the AWS Simple Monthly Calculator.
Please note that storage billing principles in AWS is similar to those for EPAM Cloud OpenStack regions: each VM shape has its pre-defined storage volume which is fully paid irrespectively of the actual storage usage.
For more details on AWS usage and billing, please see the Hybrid Cloud page.
EPAM Orchestrator retrieves the billing information directly from Azure and provides it to the users "as is". Please take into account the following specifics of Azure billing:
In Azure, only the used storage is billed. Each Linux VM has a default 40 GB storage and Windows has 100, and at the VM start, only the storage taken by the system is considered used and is charged.
Azure prices for the resources that have already been charged can change. If the change takes place after EPAM Orchestrator closes the month, the difference is taken into account during the next month billing generation.
To estimate the price of the infrastructure to be hosted in Azure, use the calculator on the Azure Pricing page.
Billing in Google Cloud Platform
Billing in Google Cloud differs from billing in EPAM Cloud in certain ways. Please note the specifics of Google Cloud billing below.
In Google Cloud, the provisioned storage is billed, regardless of the actual usage.
Google Cloud billing supports no cost distribution by region, therefore, all project costs will be billed to one of the regions specified as default. Billing for individual resources is not supported, however, the costs are broken down by resource type.
To find the price of Google Cloud-based infrastructure, use the Google Cloud Platform Pricing Calculator.
EPAM Cloud uses two billing policies for hardware resources - standard billing policy and location-specific billing policy. The standard billing policy is currently used for most of the hardware resources in EPAM Cloud, however, it will be gradually replaced with the location-specific one.
Standard Billing Policy
Standard billing in EPAM-HW1 region depends on the servers type.
EPAM-financed servers are billed according to the following price structure:
|1 CPU socket||$20|
|1 GB RAM||$5|
Each assignment has a serverUsage parameter identifying which part of the server capacity the project uses. Typically, the value here is 100%. However, there are servers used by several projects simultaneously. In this case, the projects can have different values for the parameter, but the total for the server should be 100.
To see the server usage rate, call the or2din command with the --full flag.
The monthly chargeback for shared servers is divided between the projects according to their serverUsage rate.
Location-Specific Billing Policy
The location-specific billing policy is based on a differentiated approach to hardware resource costs, as each piece of hardware is special. Such policy allows to optimize the hardware resource costs and bring them closer to their prime costs and, as the result, to decrease the hardware usage bills.
All location-specific hardware prices are obtained by the following formula:
- Nunits - The number of units taken by one hardware server
- Unit Cost - The monthly cost of one unit
- Location Coefficient - The multiplier applied to unit usage price, depending on the specific location. The coefficient is defined by the hardware maintenance price in the specific location
- Electricity - The price of electricity in the location, per kW
- Power - The server capacity, in kW/month
- Cooling - The coefficient based on the power needed for servers cooling
Please note that starting from April 1, 2016, the location-specific hardware billing will be applied in two locations:
|Belarus||Minsk, Kuprevicha 1/1||0.8|
|Belarus||Minsk, Kuprevicha 3V||1|
Hardware servers in other locations are still billed according to the previous hardware billing policy. Until further notice, both billing policies will be in effect. The standard billing policy will be gradually replaced with the location-specific policy for all EPAM hardware servers. New locations to be billed according to the location-specific policy will be announced additionally.
As prices in EPAM-HW1 region now depend on location specifics, preliminary cost determination using the Cost Estimator tool becomes inefficient. If you need to have approximate price of hardware servers in the locations in which the new policy is applied, please contact Level 2 Support Team.