Moving your project to the Cloud can be a challenging task. This paper deals with this problem by establishing a workflow for comfortable migration to the Cloud and provides the details on the found solutions and implemented techniques.
The main benefits that have led to adoption of cloud computing in multiple organizations are pretty obvious:
- There is no need to care about hardware availability, reliability and maintenance
- You get relatively stable performance of hosted applications
- Performing backup of the whole system or a part of becomes easy and transparent
It is important to estimate the advantages and risks of cloud computing before making a decision because not every application is right for a cloud platform. Some applications should remain in house. But the fact that certain applications are not proper for migration to the cloud today does not mean they will not be in future. Practically every application potentially could exist either partially or fully in the cloud.
The whole process of migration to the cloud will include two general types of activities - Static and Dynamic.
Static checks shall be focused on verifying migration readiness of applications and preparing all the migration plans. This includes:
- High-level architecture analysis
- Gathering performance expectations
Dynamic process focuses on proofs of concept for each phase of migration:
- Running a set of simple performance tests on an existing environment (if present) to gather initial performance metrics for components and the whole system
- Setting up a similar environment on Cloud with desired network and architecture settings and performing the same performance tests. Also comparing the results of both tests executions afterwards
- Verifying network isolation models and security of data transfers between the application modules/services
- Verifying component portability and backup-restore compatibility
- Verifying system reliability
- Checking performance changes experienced during system scaling
Out of scope for migration testing (can only be applied given an additional agreement):
- All types of functional testing
- All types of application security testing
- All of GUI related testing
The described process of moving to the cloud is consecutive and easy. Completing all the steps guarantees you have a stable Cloud Capacity nested project. Efficient and full utilization of the cloud capacities will help use your resources more rationally and get the most from what cloud computing offers. The aforementioned flow instrumental gives the information about the standardization of customer consulting process before and in the course of migration to the cloud.