Why use virtual desktops?
Virtual desktops can be used:
as an alternative to EPAM workstation You can use virtual desktops if you have no possibility to get EPAM workstations or want to have a virtual desktop as an alternative to EPAM workstations.
for isolated projects Virtual desktops can be a reasonable solution for the projects which include users with individual restrictions that should meet the group policies and where users have NO administrator rights. According to the project needs only pre-installed software package approved by management staff can be used for the project activities.
by customer oriented users In accordance with the project requirements these users cannot utilize EPAM equipment or cannot install EPAM software but access to EPAM internal apps such as UPSA, Time, Jira, etc. is obligatory.
The main features that distinguishes virtual desktops provided by EPAM Cloud include:
- Using the image approved by EPAM Security Team with the basic set of applications
- Possibility to use EPAM Domain Credentials for logging in and applying EPAM Group Policies
- Possibility to connect to your virtual desktop and continue from right where you have left off
- Possibility to start your virtual desktop from a web browser
High level settings
By default, in EPAM, virtual desktops have the following high-level settings:
|Setting virtual desktop user as local administrator
|Allowing end users to cache credentials on the client
|Allowing end users to increase volume size
|Allowing end users to choose between Standard, Perfomance, Power virtual desktop types
|Enabling users to rebuild their virtual desktop from their client
For now virtual desktops provided by EPAM Cloud can be requested in US East (N.Virginia) and EU (Frankfurt) regions. We are planning to add other regions as the need required.
A bundle is a combination of an operating system, and storage, compute, and software resources.
When you request a virtual desktop, you can choose between the available bundles.
||2 vCPU, 4 GB Memory
||2 vCPU, 7,5 GB Memory
||2 vCPU, 16 GB Memory
If you need custom configuration of the virtual desktop, please submit the respective support request.
Virtual Desktops are provided with a pre-installed software package that fully meets the requirements of the EPAM Security Team and includes Win10 (modified Windows Server 2016) and the following software package:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Flash Player (NPAPI)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
- OPSWAT Agent
- Qualys Cloud Agent
- Sentinel AntiVirus
How to start a virtual desktop?
You can start working with your virtual desktop using Amazon WorkSpaces Client or Web Access.
Using WorkSpace Client
To start working with your virtual desktop via Amazon WorkSpace Client, please perform the following steps:
1. Install necessary AWS client via on your workstation
using this link
2. Check your network connection using
Connection Health Check
3. If you receive an appropriate email from Cloud Support Team, you can use provided credentials to start. Just choose Registration Code (XXXXX+XXXXXX) and username without @epam.com(user_name).
Using Web Access
To start working with your virtual desktop via Web access, please perform the following steps:
1. Follow this link, select Web Access option and click ‘Launch’.
2. To register on your virtual desktop, input the Registration Code (XXXXX+XXXXXX) that you will find in the email send by the Cloud Support Team once your virtual desktop is created.
3. Log into your virtual desktop with your EPAM domain credentials.
How to get a virtual desktop?
To get a virtual desktop, please submit the
respective support request and specify the desired configuration, user name, required region, project code by location. The PM or DM approval is required.
If you are a newcomer to EPAM and do not have company’s laptop, all costs will be covered by the Local IT Project. If you already have a company’s laptop, the costs for using your virtual desktop will be covered by your project.
Below is a list of documents related to this section. You can find the full list of our documents
in the Documentation Storage.
Please select the required document: